TIF has worked diligently to strengthen relations with ASEAN Secretariat and ASEAN member states, particularly in the context of efforts to ensure the worldwide implementation of WHO resolutions on thalassaemia and other haemoglobin disorders and sickle cell anaemia, adopted in 2006.
- Accelerating the economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region through joint endeavours in the spirit of equality and partnership in order to strengthen the foundation for a prosperous and peaceful community of Southeast Asian Nations;
- Promoting regional peace and stability through abiding respect for justice and the rule of law in the relationship among countries of the region and adherence to the principles of the United Nations Charter;
- Promoting active collaboration and mutual assistance on matters of common interest in the economic, social, cultural, technical, scientific and administrative fields;
- Providing assistance to each other in the form of training and research facilities in the educational, professional, technical and administrative spheres;
- Collaborating more effectively for the greater utilisation of their agriculture and industries, the expansion of their trade, including the study of the problems of international commodity trade, the improvement of their transportation and communications facilities and the raising of the living standards of their peoples;
- Promoting Southeast Asian studies; and
- Maintaining close and beneficial cooperation with existing international and regional organisations with similar aims and purposes, and exploring all avenues for even closer cooperation among themselves.
HOW TIF WORKS WITH THE ASEAN
TIF has worked diligently to strengthen relations with ASEAN Secretariat and ASEAN member states, particularly in the context of efforts to ensure the worldwide implementation of WHO resolutions EB118.R1 on thalassaemia and other haemoglobinpathies and WHA59.R20 on sickle cell anaemia, adopted in 2006.
This close monitoring and communication with the ASEAN Secretariat has gained pace in 2013, as TIF has received an official Invitation to present its Report on thalassaemia in the course of ASEAN’s Senior Officials’ Meeting on Health Development (SOMHD) in August 2013.
More information on ASEAN can be found at their official website.Visit the ASEAN website