We are overjoyed to share with you that the 4th Pan European Conference on Haemoglobinopathies and Rare Anaemias has been completed with immense success with the avid and wide reaching participation of the Thalassaemia community in the European Region and beyond! The Board of Directors of the Thalassaemia International Federation (TIF) and the Greek Thalassaemia Federation (EOTHA) would like to thank everyone for their attendance and participation in both the Scientific and the Patients/ Parents’ Session of this conference, held on 07-09 November 2014 in Athens. This Pan-European Regional Conference was a real highlight for TIF's internationally renowned Educational Programme, and it was truly a unique event gathering the most important actors in the field of haemoglobinopathies and rare anaemias in Europe and beyond. More photographs will be uploaded and more information will follow soon in our printed and electronic communication material!
Preliminary participation (to be confirmed)
315 Health Care Professionals
27 - European Region
7 - Middle East Region
3 - West Pacific Region
2 - Americas Region
2 - Africa Region
1 - South East Asia Region
Milestones of the 4th Pan-European Conference on Haemoglobinopathies and Rare Anaemias
1. A milestone in TIF's Educational Programme is upgrading the Guidelines for the Management of Transfusion Dependent Thalassaemia (TDT)
2. TIF has already proceeded, in collaboration with international and local experts to translate in Greek and publish the United Kingdom's "Standards for the Clinical Care of Sickle Cell Disease in Adults", the "Emergency Management of Thalassaemia", and the "Guide for the Haemoglobinopathy Nurse".
3. This conference has concluded with two declarations that were delivered to the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Minister of Health of Greece, the President of the International Organisation for Migration (IMO), and will also be offered to the Government of each of the European member countries.
These two consensus papers are the following
- Access of Patients with Thalassaemia infected with Viral Hepatitis C to effective treatment or Cure. Click here to download it.
- The future of Haemoglobin Disorders and Rare Anaemias in Europe: Observations, Key Findings, and Recommendations. Click here to download it.
Major projects ongoing towards finalisation
- Work in progress: Mobile Application programme ThaliMe
- TIF Video Sharing Platform
Click the links below to read the Conference's programme :
Click here for the Conference's website
Click here for the Draft Executive Summary of the Conference.
Click here for the special issue of the TIF Newsletter dedicated to the Conference.