We are delighted to announce that the Thalassaemia International Federation (TIF) will offer this year’s Training session physically and in its full length.
The Training Session will be held from 16 to 27 October 2023, through the Joint Red Cell Unit, Haematology Department University College London, NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK, and under the leadership of Dr Perla Eleftheriou, Consultant Haematologist.
DURATION: Two (2) weeks
CANDIDATES: This fellowship is offered to up to four (4) physicians.
VENUE: Joint Red Cell Unit, Haematology Department of the University College London NHS Foundation Trust, 235 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BU, UK.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 23 June 2023
The candidates and their employers must be committed to working in the field of haemoglobinopathies at their current institution of employment for a period of at least three (3) years after the fellowship, so that the candidate also trains other medical specialists in the field during this period.
- A letter of consent for this must be sent along with each candidate’s application, both by the candidate himself/herself and by his/her employer. The employer can be the director of the institution where the candidate is employed or an assigned by the Ministry of Health of the candidate’s country official.
- Candidates should not work in a private hospital where patients will need to pay for his/her services.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have specialist training in Haematology or Paediatrics or Internal Medicine and at least 2 years of experience in working with patients with Thalassaemia or Sickle Cell Disease in a government hospital.
- In cases where the selection committee feels that specialized training in one or more specific aspects of the treatment or monitoring of haemoglobin disorders is essential to be promoted in a specific country or for this specific candidate, their training could be tailored and offered for a smaller duration (1-2 months) on the particular specialized topic. Such could be training on endocrine or hepatic or cardiac monitoring of haemoglobinopathy patients.
- The candidates must provide information on the number of patients and types of haemoglobinopathy attending in his/her clinic and the type and quality of the provided services.
- The applicants should understand well and speak fluent English and be able to provide proof of their proficiency in this language.
- No more than one application per host institution will be considered at one time.
- Final approval will be obtained through common consultation and consensus between the training centre and the Thalassaemia International Federation. Hence, the application of each candidate will be reviewed by the selection committee that will be comprised of:
– 2 members of TIF’s Scientific Advisory Board on behalf of TIF
– 2 chief medical specialists on behalf of the training centre
Training Programme 2023 DOWNLOAD
How to apply
The application should be accompanied by:
- A complete, most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Two (2) letters of consent to work in the field of haemoglobinopathies for at least 3 years at the candidate’s current institution of employment, one from the candidate and one from the director of the institution or from an appointed official of the Ministry of Health of the candidate’s country of employment, if the institution where the candidate is employed belongs to the Ministry of Health of that country.
- A reference letter of support and recommendation from the candidate’s current employers.
- The candidate’s choice(s) for the Optional Courses of the Training Programme. These must be denoted on the Application Form.
- Proof of the candidate’s command of the English language.
- Proof of official registration of the candidate as a medical specialist in the medical registry of his/her country of employment.
- The successful candidates’ airfare (economy class) to and from their country.
- The successful candidates’ accommodation in London.
- A stipend of €500 for each successful candidate (daily transportation and basic living expenses). Any expenses above this amount will be borne by the successful candidate.
- A fee of up to €500 for each candidate to the training centre for its administrative needs.