DURATION: Two (2) months
CANDIDATES: This fellowship is offered to 2-4 physicians per year.
VENUE: Currently through the Joint Red Cell Unit, Haematology Department of the University College London NHS Foundation Trust, 235 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BU, UK.
OUR SPECIALIST TEAM:
and many other valuable colleagues.
- A stipend of $2000 USD/month for each successful candidate, which intends to cover the successful candidate’s accommodation, daily transportation and basic living expenses. Any expenses above this amount will be the responsibility of the successful candidate.
- A fee of up to $500 USD for each candidate to the training centre for its administrative needs.
- The candidates’ airfare (economy class) to and from their country.
The candidates and their employers must be committed to work in the field of haemoglobinopathies at their current institution of employment for a period of at least 3 years after the fellowship, so that the candidate also trains other medical specialists in the field during this period.
- A letter of consent for this must be sent along with each candidate’s application, both by the candidate himself/herself and by his/her employer. The employer can be the director of the institution where the candidate is employed or an assigned by the Ministry of Health of the candidate’s country official.
- Candidates should not work in a private hospital where patients will need to pay for his/her services
- Priority will be given to candidates who have a specialist training in Haematology or Paediatrics or Internal Medicine and at least 2 years experience in working with patients with Thalassaemia or Sickle Cell Disease in a government hospital.
- In cases where the selection committee feels that specialized training in one or more specific aspects of the treatment or monitoring of haemoglobin disorders is essential to be promoted in a specific country or for this specific candidate, their training could be tailored offered for a smaller duration (1-2 months) on the particular specialized topic. Such could be training on endocrine or hepatic or cardiac monitoring of haemoglobinopathy patients.
- The candidates must provide information on the number of patients and types of their haemoglobinopathy attending his/her clinic and type and quality of the services offered.
- The applicants should understand well and speak fluent English and be able to provide proof of their proficiency in this language
- No more than one application per host institution will be considered at one time.
- Final approval will be obtained through common consultation and consensus between the training centre and the Thalassaemia International Federation. Hence, the application of each candidate will be reviewed by the selection committee that will be comprised of:
- 2 members of TIF’s Scientific Advisory Board on behalf of TIF
- 2 chief medical specialists on behalf of the training centre
NEXT TRAINING PERIOD: 2nd October – 30th November 2017
APPLICATION PERIOD: Open until 31st July 2017
How to apply
The Application Form should be completed and returned to the Thalassaemia International Federation, Cyprus, by email, at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or by fax at 00357-22-314552, with the subject line “TIF-Renzo Galanello Fellowship”. In the event you cannot use email or fax, a postal address is denoted on the Application Form.
The application should be accompanied by:
- A complete, most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Two letters of consent to work in the field of haemoglobinopathies for at least 3 years at the candidate’s current institution of employment, one from the candidate and one from the director of the institution or from an appointed official of the Ministry of Health of the candidate’s country of employment, if the institution where the candidate is employed belongs to the Ministry of Health of that country
- A reference letter of support and recommendation from the candidate’s current employers
- The candidate’s choice(s) for the Optional Courses of the Training Program. These must be denoted on the Application Form.
- Proof of the candidate’s command of the English language.
- Proof of official registration of the candidate as a medical specialist in the medical registry of his/her country of employment.