Important News: The Thalassaemia International Federation (TIF) appreciates and expresses its gratefulness! TIF establishes a ‘Prize for Outstanding Board Members’ Contribution to TIF’s Activities’.
The First Winners were Announced!
In the context of its Awards Scheme and its policy to express its gratefulness and appreciation to the work undertaken by members of the Board of Directors, at the national, regional, and international level, the Thalassaemia International Federation (TIF), as from 2016, has officially established a Prize for Outstanding Board Members’ Contribution.
Awarded on a biennial basis, the first awardees were announced in the context of the official Opening Ceremony of the 2nd MEGMA Conference on Thalassaemia and Other Haemoglobinopathies on the 11th of November 2016 in Amman, Jordan.
The Prize aims to honour the outstanding contribution of Board Members in TIF’s activities, and in supporting the realization of its mission and vision. More specifically in representing TIF in high level meetings, committees, educational fora, and participating in delegation visits abroad and promoting thalassaemia patients’ associations at the national, regional and international level.
In 2016, the Board of Directors of the TIF in the context of an official Board meeting in London between the 30th and the 31st of January 2016 has unanimously voted to honour the very significant, high level involvement and contribution to TIF’s 2014/2015 programme of activities and the tireless efforts and unwavering passion of two distinguished Board Members, both patients:
- Mr Angelo Loris Brunetta from Italy, Member of TIF and President of the Associazione Ligure Thalassemici
- Mr George Constantinou from the United Kingdom, Assistant Secretary on the Board of Directors of the Federation and the Secretary of the UK Thalassaemia Society
Moreover, in the context of and on the occasion of the aforementioned Ceremony, we have also honoured the outstanding contribution of individuals who supported the organization of this exceptional educational Conference, appreciation tokens were presented to:
- Dr Mahmoud Al –Sheyyab, H.E. the Minister of Health – Jordan, who placed this conference under the auspices of the Ministry of Health’ in honour of his support and collaboration in the organisation of the Conference.
- Dr Mustapha Al Fallah, President of the Jordanian Thalassemia & Hemophilia Society for the invaluable support and collaboration of the Society in the organisation of the Conference.
- Prof. Ali Taher, Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Conference Who has played a crucial role for the organization of this conference through his invaluable support, as the President of the Organizational Committee of this conference.
The Ceremony was attended by more than 300 participants (medical specialists, patients, parents and other interested stakeholders, in the presence of the Acting Director of the Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office of the World Health Organisation, representatives of the International Organisation of Migration, the former First Lady of Lebanon and representatives of Her Highness Sheikha Sheikha Bint Seif Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi (UAE).
The criteria for nominations are available on TIF’s website at www.thalassaemia.org.cy